French Cabbage Soup
2 tablespoons butter
2 large potatoes (or substitute turnips)
1 small head of cabbage
1 (15 ounce) can white beans
2 ½ quarts water
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
1 lb smoked sausage
2 stalks celery
1 garlic clove
1. Chop up all vegetables.
2. Place butter in soup pot over medium heat.
3. Once melted, add the cabbage, leeks, carrot, turnip, onion, celery and garlic.
4. Stir occasionally until the vegetables are tender, but not browned.
5.Peel potatoes and cut into large pieces.
6. Add potatoes and drained beans to pot.
7. Add the water and broth.
8.Season to taste with salt & pepper.
9.Simmer for 1 hour.
10.Cut smoked sausage into small pieces and fry until browned.
11. To serve, place a few pieces of sausage in the bottom of your soup bowl and ladle the soup over them.