Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet Potato Vichyssoise from Lynn Boneberg
• 3 leeks
• 5 cloves garlic
• 4 medium sweet potatoes
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1 cup cooked white beans (cannellini, navy, butter…)
• knob of coconut oil, ghee (clarified butter), or butter
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• juice of 1 lemon
• 1 tsp. sea salt
• 2 tsp. turmeric (optional)
• cayenne to taste
what to do:
Prepare leeks by removing the very tip of the root, and the tough, dark green
parts at the very top. Chop leeks, then swirl them around in a large bowl of water
to remove any dirt (due to how they grow, leeks can have a little grit between
• In a large stock pot, heat a knob of coconut oil or butter, add turmeric, cayenne and leeks with a teaspoon of sea salt. Stir to coat and let cook on medium heat for five minutes or so, until leeks have softened. Mince garlic and add to the pot.
• Scrub the sweet potatoes, and chop them into rough cubes (leave the skin on!). Add them to the pot, stir and cook for a few minutes. Add broth and beans. Bring a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until sweet potatoes are soft, about 15 – 20 minutes.
• Using a regular blender or stick blender puree the soup until totally creamy. Add olive oil and lemon juice, plus salt to taste if necessary, blend once more and serve with Ginger-Kissed Pumpkin Seeds.
Makes ½ cup
• ½ cup
pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
• ½ Tbsp. olive oil
• ½ Tbsp. maple syrup
• 1 Tbsp. ginger powder
• pinch sea salt
what to do:
Preheat oven to 300°F / 150°C.
• Toss pumpkin seeds with other ingredients. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until toasty and fragrant. Remove and let cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container.