Tomato Cabbage Soup
Chef Joey Johnson's recipe from The Fat Hen.
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium white onion
2 cloves garlic
2 quarts water
2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 head cabbage
3 heirloom tomatoes, diced medium
1 T fresh oregano
1 T fresh thyme
Juice of half a lemon
1. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion and garlic. Cook until onion is transparent.
3. Add water, broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
4. Core and chop cabbage into thin strips. Stir cabbage into broth and reduce heat.
5. Simmer about 10 minutes until cabbage wilts. Add fresh herbs
6. Stir in chopped tomatoes and return to a boil, then simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring often.
7. Serve hot.